Reset Outreach and Referral Service Community Engagement Worker
Duration: Full Time 35hrs per week
Do you have passion for your work, a commitment to excellence, and a desire to support some of the most vulnerable and excluded people in our communities? Could you support us to make positive lasting changes in people’s lives?
Providence Row works with more than a thousand homeless and vulnerably housed people a year in East London, offering an integrated service of crisis support, advice, substance use & alcohol support and employment and training advice. Our aim is to ensure that people who are so often excluded from mainstream services gain the support and opportunities they need to create a safe, healthy, and sustainable life away from the streets. Central to our work are our core values of Compassion, Respect, Inclusiveness, Empowerment and Justice. These values inform the content, style and delivery of all our services.
Reset Outreach and Referral Service
This role sits within the Reset Outreach & Referral Service, which is based at and delivered by Providence Row. The service is commissioned by Tower Hamlets Drug and Alcohol Action Team (DAAT) to work seamlessly with Reset Treatment and Recovery Support Services in providing residents of Tower Hamlets with the drug and alcohol support they need.
The role involves building relationships with marginalised and hard-to-reach communities in Tower Hamlets. You will identify places of interest where people who might have various practices of drug and alcohol use can be found and where ongoing relationships can be built. This service is a vital first point of access to support and engage people who use drugs to address their needs.
The role will involve;
1. Delivering a range of support to people who use drugs or alcohol.
2. Providing support to encourage people from hard-to-reach groups to access the needle exchange and treatment services, as desired.
3. Providing targeted harm reduction advice and information to individuals around the risks associated with their specific substance use and supporting people to improve their health and wellbeing.
4. Signposting to other support services where an individual with drug and/or alcohol use can receive support for matters outside of their drug and alcohol use, as appropriate.
5. Promoting the full range of support available for varying levels and types of drug and alcohol use.
6. As needed, accompanying other Reset Outreach and Referral Service workers on outreach and in-reach in order to better understand the local environment as well as build rapport with clients.
7. As needed, serving in the needle exchange rota in order to better understand the service as well as build rapport with clients.
The ideal candidate
You have knowledge of substance use or experience working in a fast-paced environment dealing with a variety of needs, but you do not need to be a senior established substance misuse professional. Your experience can be paid of volunteer and lived experience of using substances is equally valued. You should be eager to engage with people through providing a low threshold, non-coercive service and be understanding of how other factors such as language barriers and cultural norms surrounding substance use can impact a person’s access to services. You will live out Providence Row’s values in your approach to your work, as well as abide by the principles of harm reduction as specified by the organization Harm Reduction Coalition (HRC).
For more information please see the job description:
To apply, please complete an application form and send to - [email protected] with the title of the role that you are applying for
The deadline for applications is midnight 23rd September 2021
Interviews will take place week Commencing 27th September 2021
Providence Row is a charitable company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales; company number 07452798 registered charity number 1140192.