Father Daniel Gilbert and The Sisters of Mercy
We were founded in 1860 as a Catholic charity by a priest, Father Daniel Gilbert, who was moved by the poverty he saw around him. He enlisted the help of an order of nuns, the Sisters of Mercy, and together they raised funds and found premises in East London which opened on to a narrow lane called Providence Row.
Over the last 160 years we have changed in many ways but we continue to value our Catholic roots and links with the church. The Sisters of Mercy have supported us tirelessly over the last 160 years and continue to volunteer and support us in so many ways.