Delivered from our rooftop garden our 10-week, accredited Gardening Trainee Scheme, run by a professional gardener, provides training and experience in urban food growing. From planing seedlings, composting to harvesting our organic produce for our onsite kitchen, our trainees leave with a qualification and a greater understanding of food sustainability.
Who is it for?
Our 10 week Gardening Trainee Scheme is available to anyone who has experienced homelessness, temporary accommodation or supported housing in the last three years. Trainees can have support needs around mental health and substance misuse issues.
The 10 week scheme takes place every Thursday morning on Providence Row's newly refurbished rooftop kitchen garden. Trainees will learn how to grow fruit and vegetables, gain carpentry skills and get the opportunity to learn about beekeeping as well. On completion of the course you will receive an Entry 3 certification in Progression.
All our trainees are able to have lunch with us and access our other onsite services and facilities while training with us.
If you or someone you know could benefit from joining one of our schemes:
There is a set enrolment date for this scheme. Please speak to Asia (on the contact details below) to find out when the next training scheme commences.
- Call Asia, our Employability Support Co-ordinator on 020 7422 6761
- Email her on [email protected]
Our roof garden has won the following awards:
- 2017 Royal Horticulture Society 'It's Your Neighbourhood - Outstanding
- 2017 London in Bloom Chairman's Award
- 2017 Tower Hamlets in Bloom - Best Community Growing site - 1st prize
- 2017 Tower Hamlets in Bloom - Best Community Residential site - 2nd prize
- 2018 Britain in Bloom with the RHS/ London - It’s your Neighbourhood – outstanding
- 2018 London in Bloom Our Community – Gold
- 2018 London in Bloom Fresh Air Gardens – Gold